Topic Brainstorm

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

I used the Project Topic listings to narrow down my Storybook topic selections. If I could find a way to marry one or more of my chosen themes into one project, I think the outcome would be really unique. The topics listed, along with some previous research we did of previous students’ projects, watching videos, and browsing my own blog helped me to pinpoint the common threads between those which interested me:

1. Creation Stories
I feel like choosing to do a Storybook project about creation stories would be an appropriate choice for this class. In my blog post about students’ past projects, I found that this cyclical “birth/death” theme of how the universe comes to be created and destroyed were common themes. This theme is very complex and philosophical, but I think within that realm some very compelling stories could result. I decided to watch the video “Hindu Creation Stories” as a way to be introduced to the subject in a short two minutes. This summarized Hinduism beliefs and noted that in contrast to most religions’ single story of creation at the basis of its principles and practices, Hindus have many stories to complement their understanding of infinite universes. In the first 10 seconds, an infographic of sorts shows three choices: a universe from a cosmic egg or man and then one fashioned from timber. I can see how a story could branch from such a flexible topic.

2. Women of the Ramayana
I watched the video “Powerful Women of Hindu Mythology |EPIFIED” to supplement the sources on the Project Topic Listings page. This video was a sort of crash course to important women like Arundhati, “known for the power of her chastity,” Lakshmi, “goddess of prosperity,” Kali, “fiercest mother figure and slayer of demons,” and Sita, “Loyal to her husband, kind to all beings, daughter of the earth”  just to name a few whose personality descriptions appealed to me. think it will be easier to choose which characters I want to focus on once I get a feel for who I like reading about most as the weeks go on. I also spoke in my post about previous students’ storybooks about stories to do with women in particular. This theme very much overlaps with number 1 and 3 of my choices, as a project or two I sampled showed.

3. Loving Couples of the Ramayana
It says on the Project Ideas page that the central couple of the Ramayana is Rama and Sita, and I noticed a past project or two devoted to these main lovers. That being said, maybe I would choose one of the other couples listed, I see there are some polygamous couples, and widowed couples finding new love— these might be interesting to bring some less prominent pairings to the forefront. As for the monkey world couple and the mermaid/man couple, I think I’m less inclined to choose the first option since the mythical creature of a mermaid has a little more intrigue and charm. Stories of romance are so timeless-- if I could make one with as much heart and drama as ones so cherished and loved I would consider that an enormous (and amorous) feat.

4. Twins
It was said in the assignment overview page to use whatever influence available to inspire a topic to focus on. As stated in my “Introduction to a Type A Idealist,” I am a twin myself. Professor Gibbs offered me some links about some twins who are part of the Indian tradition, including the twin Gods known as the Ashvins. She also offered me an example of a mother, Sita, who has twins Lava and Kusha- so maybe I could combine topic idea number 2 I listed above with this one. In addition, I watched the video “The Greatest Twins |EPIFIED” which gave examples of some other twins I could research further if I so choose. I noticed that not only identical but fraternal (boy/girl) twins were featured—while from my experience as an identical twin myself would better inform me in my writing about identical twin girls, I think choosing to have characters of different genders would be a creative challenge that would allow me to think about how this sex difference would impact one's identity. I would have to do some searching to see if I could find any previous students’ projects to reference that had a similar topic.  


(Image Source: Etsy)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top