Feedback: More Thoughts

Saturday, September 7, 2019

The Feedback Gallery on Canvas is a great resource for comparing the types of feedback that is most productive for the purposes of this class. I find myself (1) asking questions and (2) showing appreciation for the details most often. Incorporating specific suggestions and helping my peers re-evaluate their work for weaknesses are things I will have to start trying in the weeks to come since I am doing my assignments all out of order and thus have completed all my comments for the week. I think I am a better reader than I am a writer but like they say, teaching is learning. By pointing out what could be improved in another’s writing, maybe and hopefully it will translate into my own work.

Why Do So Many Managers Avoid Giving Praise?” by Jack Zenger and Joseph Folkman
I had a boss who was held in contempt by my coworkers who hated his proclivity for “micro-managing.” Some people felt he was “picking on them,” but he was a prime example of a leader rather than a boss. While it was easy to befriend the easy-going supervisor that wanted to befriend everyone, I was more compelled to earn the favor of the hard-headed and harder-to-please boss since his praise held more weight. Not only was there never a job he wasn’t willing to show you how to do himself, there was something special about getting even a half-positive evaluation from him. What Zenger and Folkman said in this article about people being worried about coming down on their employees too hard, it makes me realize the motivation behind my two bosses’ styles was the same— they wanted respect. Like the authors said of other managers self-assessments, some who felt “they just wanted to get it over quickly” and “they don’t pay me enough to do this job,” don’t want to be invested in a real way because they seem to not want to make enemies. In my experience, those who don’t care about a job would take personally and project back any criticism from a boss with a bad review. However, to earn due respect some balance must be had between busting butts and giving passes.

I’m glad I selected this article addressing the problems with unnecessarily hyperbolic praise. As an unapologetic people-pleaser, I am super guilty of using insincere superlative language when speaking to others. As a sensitive, insecure person by nature, I have an innate reflex of sparing others’ feelings in a way I would wish for myself. The story she shared at the start about her disingenuously peppy substitute instructor was so real and relatable. No one wants to be patronized by some pretentious, condescending person who can’t disguise their feelings of superiority when providing feedback. I liked Gonzalez’s point that constructive advice is somewhere between “Paula” praise and Simon Cowell criticism, for those familiar with the singing competition American Idol. To avoid “fluffy” feedback, Gonzalez says adopting more specific and actionable suggestions is often a springboard enough for a person to come away from a critique with something practical to put to practice the next time. This makes me reflect on my most memorable and admirable teachers since now I feel compelled to psychoanalyze them—were they prone to empty compliments? From what I can recall, my very favorite teacher was a bit of a flatterer but would conference with his students individually to edit papers which was always an anxious event since this was when he would pick apart your work and make you re-write it. My ceramics teacher, too, was what the kids today would call “savage.” We only had one wheel for throwing pots at our small, under-funded school which was for special projects—I earned this place with my declaration that I would attempt to make a thimble (the finger/thumb cover to prevent pricking yourself with the needle while sewing). Who knew this tiny thing would be so hard to make? With every attempt, my teacher would smash it and make me remake it over and over until I made a perfectly proportioned little cup for finger protection! Somehow, impressing him after several tries gave me more pride than had he accepted my first.

(Image Source: Pixabay Stock Photos)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top