Reading Notes: Mahabharata (Part A)

Tuesday, September 24, 2019

I was most intrigued by the birth story of the girl-boy fraternal twins born of the Chedi king, Uparichara, and a cursed apsara (celestial nymph) in fish form, according to Wikipedia. The story creates an odd image in your head: somehow Uparichara’s semen “fell into a river” as he flew across the sky in a crystal car sent by Indra, God of the Heavens, only for his sperm to be consumed by a female fish. How a creature can be impregnated through her mouth seems anatomically absurd. This type of mystical, preposterous conception is common so far in the Mahabharata, as we later learn of the bizarre birth of the Pandava twins. However, with these twins being the topic of my Storybook, my attention is more focused on other twins and/or close-in-age siblings like Satyavati and her brother whom she was separated from since Nakula and Sahadeva’s parts haven’t picked up yet since we’re only on Section A. 

Another significant feature from this episode that caught my eye was that her foster father was a ferryman on the river Yamuna, which also I'll point out is the sanscrit word for 'twin'. This is the same Yamuna that is so named after the twin deity also known as Yami, who symbolizes light/life (and her brother, Yama, darkness/death). It is in this river she is approached by the brahmin Parashara in the next episode who compensated her by giving her a sweet fragrance to replace her fishy smell on the condition that she has his son, which by the language of it sounded like she had no choice as his impregnating powers apparently emanated from a cloud that fell upon her boat. After the “wonder had been accomplished,” she was somehow reverted back to her virginal state which again defies logic and left me scratching my head since someone sexually pure with a child seems paradoxical. It also leaves me to speculate why this is necessary if in the next episode she ends up bearing King Shantanu's sons anyway. I know I decided on the Pandava twins as the subject of my Storybook, but after reading Satyavati’s story I’m tempted to talk about twins of the Mahabharata more individually to include characters like her.


Bibliography:
Author: Various
Title: Mahabharata
Source: PDE Mahabharata, web

(Image Source: Pixabay Stock Photos)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top