Storybook Plan: Tales of Twinhood

Sunday, September 15, 2019

My Storybook this semester is going to center around the theme of twinhood. As stated in my former posts, I would like to use my personal experience as an identical twin to explore the trope of twins in Indian mythology. Instead of a Ramayana-focused project, I plan to do a story stemming from the Mahabharata epic as my research indicates that it includes a more complex network of twins both earthly and divine. I plan to examine twin identity through the heroes Nakula and Sahadeva, also known as the Pandavas, whose origin story is connected to the divine horse-headed Gemini gods called the Ashvins from ancient Indian tradition.

It is said that Sahadeva is the “brains,” as an intellectual, and his brother, Nakula, the “beauty.” This being said, as Professor Gibbs has brilliantly suggested, I plan to use Sahadeva as a narrator as I figure this would be an interesting perspective given how his assumed knowledge about the legends of twins in Indian tradition (the Ashvins/ Yama and his sister Yumi/ Yumana/Kalindi) would inform his point-of-view about his own identity and experiences as a twin himself. The twins of lore, the Asvins and Yama/Yumi are caught in contrasting archetypes in their roles as siblings associated with certain unique but related characteristics which plays well with the common theme of complementary/cyclical wholes. For example, the Ashvins are said to symbolize the sunrise and the sunset, and Yama and Yumi represent death/darkness and life/light respectively. As I have stated before, the concept of being two harmonious halves appeals to me more than two conflicting or contrasting entities. As one source by Kavita Kane has said, “…twins in our mythology are examples of deep bonded relationships, epitomes of sibling love,” a fundamental statement that I would like to be the undertone of wherever this project takes me.

We won’t be reading the Mahabharata for a couple more weeks still, so what kind of reconstructions will come from this story is yet to be determined. That is, I can’t say concretely any specific episodes I might end up writing until we start to read the Mahabharata. But if I were to assume a general three I would say: (Episode 1) About the Pandavas themselves, (Episode 2) The Pandavas and The Ashvins, (Episode 3) The Pandavas and Yama/Yami. So, I have some features chosen as far as my main characters go, and their psychological and philosophical influencers (that is, the trope of twinness in ancient Indian tradition through the twin deities I have aforementioned). I also know I would like to work with both prose and poetry with a more anthological approach rather than a narrative if possible. These technicalities are subject to change. Given the blueprint I have already, though, I feel like I am ready to dive into the material for weeks 5-6—bring on the Mahabharata!

Sources:
-        Twins in Mythology [Wikipedia]
-        Nakula [Wikipedia]
-        Sahadeva [Wikipedia]
-        The Asvins [Wikipedia]
-        Ashwini Kumars [Web]
-        Yama [Wikipedia /(In Hinduism) Wikipedia]
-        Yami/Yumana/Kalindi [Wikipedia]
-        “Two Much: Twins in Mythology- Kavita Kane’s Column for the Geminis” [Web]
(Image Source: Graphic made by me, Sumopaint Photo Editor)



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top