Reading Notes: More Ramayana (Part A), Sita Sings the Blues

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

This full-length animated film by Nina Paley was honestly stunning. Having no idea what to expect going into this viewing experience, I was impressed to say the least. I had anticipated and prepared to watch it in two parts as suggested on the assignment overview page with the embedded link, but I was sucked in and ended up watching it all the way through in one sitting. I even paused it a few times when I stopped to laugh at its more comical moments or to simply pick my chin up off the floor because, frankly, I was floored by its narrative and visual brilliance.

I particularly liked how the ancient story was brought into the 21st century through both the cartoon couple Nina and Dave and the modern Indian storytellers who spent the length of the film recounting and debating the details of the myth. What this did for me was put into perspective the historical significance of the Ramayana. When the three modern Indian characters (depicted quite paradoxically in a style that seems inspired by antiquated art) start to debate about whether the Ramayana was based off of real events, with the woman character commenting that it is as “real” as the Bible made me realize how important this story must be culturally and spiritually to many people. I also love how the producer in a sense represented the oral tradition that the (many versions) of the Ramayana by the fact that these three modern Indian characters “created” the story in a communal way, with their commentary as a sort of unique “reading guide” if you will.

As they talk amongst themselves of the story, the scenes play out for the person watching. I got the sense that the “old fashioned” looking illustrations were the “cut and dry” story, whereas the cartoonish bubble characters were as if it was written for today’s audience. Or, since they look a little bit like paper dolls (the kind with push pins for joints) I thought it could be like a digital version of how this story might have been told through puppets in the past. This is a sort of in-depth analysis of everything but the story, but more than just the story itself I was super intrigued by what message Nina Paley was sending. It seemed to me a commentary on oral tradition first and foremost. It also seemed that by highlighting certain parts that were “controversial” (between the modern-ancient Indian characters) she emphasized how a reader influenced by a modern environment socially and spiritually casts new interpretations on the morals and ethics of the famous tale. It makes it seem as though even I felt like I was constantly trying to read between the lines, and I loved it.

Bibliography:
Author: Nina Paley
Title: Sita Sings the Blues
Year: 2008

(Image Source: Wikipedia)



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top