Growth Mindset: How To Be an "Original Thinker" of Tomorrow by Adam Grant

Saturday, September 7, 2019

Original Thinkers” by Adam Grant

I often ping-pong between the two extremes of “panic monster” and “instant gratification monkey.” Adam Grant explores the procrastination habits of people to pinpoint the “sweet-spot where originals seem to live.” I relate in many ways to this speaker who claims himself a procrastinator who makes it his mission to take up the habits of his slow-to-start, successful peers after he bypasses a chance to invest in a booming online business after prematurely judging them for their lack of immediacy compared to their competitors. After some experimentation and surveying, he came to find out that his presumptions checked out—the “moderate” procrastinators were evidently more likely to come up with creative ideas. I hadn’t ever given much thought in the past to the parallels between some of our most iconic creatives. Grant’s observation that what tied Leonardo DaVinci and his famous “Mona Lisa” painting and Martin Luther King Jr’s “I Have a Dream” speech was a mindset bent on revision was one I was unlikely to make myself. Neither was I aware that second-hand businesses are often more lucrative than the product or service of their predecessors, with what he calls “First Movers” failure rate at 47% and “Improvers” at 8%. He exemplified businesses like Myspace and Facebook to prove this statistic, but I imagine this video was made before the onset of “Snapchat” and it’s “improver” company, “Instagram.” I feel like this seems especially obvious to me now when I think of popular mobile apps—like OrderUp and then GrubHub of food delivery services or Tinder and then Bumble for online dating. Adam Grant gives the dreamers, doubters, and the slow-doers a category where they can all be celebrated.


black and white line black point monochrome human body product font face drawing neck psychology head brain area graphics thoughts concentration questions ideas demand clip art line art doubt monochrome photography drawn face
(Image Source: Pxhere Free Images)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top