Growth Mindset: Three-Tiered Treatment for Confidence, Coming Right Up

Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Tips to Boost Your Confidence,” Translated by Jennifer Cody

“Take the belief that you are valuable, worthwhile, and capable. Also known as self-esteem. Add in the optimism that comes when you are certain of your abilities, and then empowered by these. Act courageously to face a challenge head-on. This is confidence.”

This video claims that confidence is a combination of nature and nurture. Since my dad has no shortage of self-confidence, that’s for sure. Some people who are off-put by his strong personality sometimes consider it closer to conceitedness. Though I’m all for self-love, I just can’t relate to the proud self-assurance he puts off. I can only assume my lack thereof comes from my circumstances and my choices since instead, I’m more prone to insecurity. One thing I do have going for me, however, is my ability to continuously fail yet my resilience is unscathed. Whether this has to do with my sheer willpower to improve or stubborn discontentedness with imperfection is debatable. I’m willing to try the three tips for cultivating confidence. For starters, her first suggestion is done and done—I am the queen of quick fixes. I can ride on those feelings of satisfaction for a while. Tip two, believing in my ability to improve, is something less simple for someone like me. While I am all about completing those short-term tasks that make me feel accomplished, striving for longer-term talents and skills seem like a mountain even when the practice that makes perfect are more like molehills. My attempt at emulating my twin sister’s artistic skills comes to mind. However, just because I’m more likely to give up in the context of becoming the next Frida Kahlo I don’t think means I inherently believe I have this sort of fixed mindset in all areas. Instead of art, which I’ve become perfectly okay at being less than proficient at, I tend to focus this energy on developing my own unique gifts. Lastly, tip three I can say I have more than mastered as I could be the poster-girl for regenerating after many a mistake. All things considered, you’d think I’d ooze confidence based on the three tips in this video! I guess this remedy for confidence is more a life-long treatment than a clear-cut cure, and that’s okay.


(Image Source: Wikimedia Commons)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top