Storybook Favorites: A Review

Saturday, August 17, 2019

“Creation Stories: The Beginning of the End”
Creation Stories: The Beginning of the End” is a new take on typical creationism stories that suggests that the universe was brought forth by a being called Purusha by birthing a golden egg. This is a Hindu concept that purports that Purusha “is everything and will be everything that will ever exist.” The story is rightfully cyclical which is symbolic as the related Hindu religion values this theme of life as an endless string with no definitive beginning or end.

This storybook caught my attention as it appealed to the philosopher in me given its relation to the unanswerable existential question of existence. I think this angle of using the Purusha as a window through which to understand this phenomenon sounds like it will create a creative perspective. The stories are supplemented with research and background information which helps an ignorant reader such as myself with some training wheels to understand the story like an insider who may have experience or knowledge on the subject and its references. Overall, a very thorough introduction and visually appealing images in the banners. The home page image of the galaxy particularly is an appropriate choice for a story centered around the topic of the universe.

“No Birth, No Death”
No Birth, No Death” is a first-person account of Mother Earth through her own voice whose “mission” is to help her “children” understand the balance of birth and death as two sides of the same coin, so to speak.

This storybook is SO intriguing. This is the kind of storybook that harnesses the sort of creativity and thoughtful articulation I can only wish to achieve in my own writing. It maintains the same banner image all throughout the tabs of leaves in a circle depicting their life cycle, which perfectly combines the themes of life and death with the focus of the environment. This author has written in poetry instead of prose, a daring choice that pays off in the way of being unique. I didn’t know this was an option, so it’s something I may come back to for inspiration when project time comes around. She also includes personal art that seems purposefully created for her story. This personal touch is the cherry on top; this author is a true creative and pulled out all the stops. She writes with a very distinct voice, too, which I think is something that all notable writers share.

“Motherhood: Cycles of Sacrifice, Forgiveness, and Unconditional Love”
Motherhood: Cycles of Sacrifice, Forgiveness, and Unconditional Love” surrounds the stories of several mothers inspired by the Indian Epics. The introduction is a creative brief that suggests that the story will be dramatic and emotional given the evidence that the qualities of sacrifice, forgiveness, and unconditional love will be driving the events.

This storybook has the imagination of the previous with its choice of poetry, but as more of a supplement to the prose. I really love the concept of showing the diversity of womanhood by choosing to center around women with different relationships to each other and in different stages of life: as a wife, daughter, and sister. I can’t speak on how it relates to the assigned reading, but I intend to come back to this one since it draws on themes that I tend toward—relationships and gender. This storybook’s images are also hand-drawn which again is a nice touch, something that I might attempt with my affinity for art though I’m no professional. I tried the link on the “Three Wives” page for the banner image because the style is something so unique and was curious about the artist, but sadly the webpage must have been updated and the image no longer available. Something to consider, too, so that when I choose pictures to represent my story that all of my sources are stable and reliable.

Concluding Thoughts:
What I like about these storybooks that there is a common thread of relationship dynamics that runs through them all. This appealed to the philosopher in me to consider how they work on a fundamental level at the basis of all events and relations. I looked at other storybooks, too, one based off the magical world of Hogwarts in the popular series by J.K. Rowling “Harry Potter,” another that looked as though it came straight from the imaginary universes of the “Rick and Morty” series. How these books can be taken in so many different directions, all with the basis of the Indian Epics as core inspiration is so cool. I look forward to dipping into the Indian Epics myself before long and seeing where my mind’s eye takes me.

(Image included in "Motherhood" Introduction; Image Source: Pixabay Stock Photos)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top