Tech Tip: Google Art Extension

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Tech Tip: Google Art Project for Chrome

I love art, so this tech tip is totally up my alley. This chrome extension “Google Arts & Culture,” as it’s called on the chrome web store, is easy to install and adds an extra bit of flair with every new tab I open. I think these come from the same Google photos and art archive that is used for ChromeCast for tv. It really reminds me of another extension called Stumble Upon which I guess has now moved to Mix. I haven’t used this in years, but basically what I remember of it is with each time you reload a page it takes you to a new website- of which there are seemingly endless in number. I recall being a teenager and finding some very cool websites this way. Before I discovered sites like Reddit and before Facebook became prevalent where it incorporates links from other sources, this was how I accessed obscure sites. I recall one in which it had a ton of envelope icons, each different from the other, where if you click them it would open a random, out of context handwritten or typed letter. It was so fun to see the different fonts and styles of writing people had, and each seemingly used a different utensil. Some even had pictures or stamps. This was quite fun. Websites like that one and this one are great tools for exploring the internet. I’m happy to have beautiful photographs, paintings, and drawings before I access the internet site I intend to. The only drawback is the fact that the icons of frequently visited sites are no longer there to easily open my most used websites. This is a small disadvantage for the visual treat that this tool allows, though!

(Image Source: Screenshot by me, Google Arts & Culture Extension)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top