Growth Mindset: Giving Grades

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Why Do We Get Grades In School?”  video by PBS Studios

In this video by PBS Studios, it discusses the origin of what we students are so fondly familiar of: letter grades. According to our informative host, it seems that a professor named Ezra Stiles is behind this polarizing practice that has made students dread report card day for centuries. It’s interesting to learn that the system wasn’t standardized for widespread use for some time. I myself think it would make a world of difference if we were still assigned value to our academic efforts with “descriptive adjectives” instead of the number scale we are so used to seeing. I can see how systems for grading performance and improvement in school is important and necessary, but it is a shame that it holds so much weight in terms of someone’s mental health. Most intriguing were questions 3 and 4 in this short video: Do grades really matter? Are they actually effective tools for helping students learn? I think they are in a sense, a single paper blueprint for the type of student someone is, but as this woman states it tells a limited story about someone’s educational journey. A high GPA does, in theory, require a vigorous work ethic but I find it hard to believe that someone can deduce who a person is from a paper alone. I appreciate that this woman discusses the difference between those who succeed with and without having proved themselves in a standard classroom because as she notes there are those who “conform” and climb the ladders of a career and those who are “visionaries” who make their own ladder.

I am all about Alfie Kohn’s perspective on creating creative and critical thinkers through “qualitative accounts of student performance.” This concept of hands-on versus hands-off teaching with a goal of encouraging students to chase personal improvement rather than arbitrary grades makes me consider those progressive teachers and mentors in my life who have helped me to pin less of my self-worth on a standardized system. I think of progress reports from my childhood when narrative type breakdowns of a students progress was more prevalent, and one on one conferences with gifted instructors of mine who worked to target and correct where my work went wrong, and professors that give sufficient opportunity for making up academic losses with the intention that we actually go back and work on our weakest areas. There are advantages and disadvantages, but I think even if our schools are entrenched in a quantitative system so long as there are teachers that help their students in the ways listed above there will be students better equipped and more enthusiastic for their futures.

(Image Source: Pixabay Stock Photos)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top