Growth Mindset: Beyond School

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

I can think of many areas that I have a healthier attitude toward the concept of a “growth mindset” outside of the classroom. After giving it some thought, it is indeed incredibly transferrable to just about any area of one’s life. For me, my first thought is toward my many relationships. Whether romantic or familial, maintaining these connections requires just that—maintenance. Somehow, I’m very capable of letting my networks blossom on their own time, but when it comes to my progress in school, I have always had a hard time with the fact that I am a textbook “late bloomer.” With skills in general, it’s easy to see myself as someone who is always slow to start and consider this a failure. I didn’t grow accustomed to speaking for myself so many years after my twin sister that some thought I was mute. I also was second to learn how to bike and swing by myself and took an extra 4 tries to pass my driver’s exam. By these credentials, it’s easy to fall into the trap of a fixed mindset since I have never had a history of picking stuff up on pace with my peers. However, after learning that I am not alone in this struggle (supposedly Einstein never learned to drive, and he’s a certified genius) I have given myself more grace. Another area where I have adopted a “growth mindset” is a little more personal, but on my healthy living journey. It’s not easy to be the epitome of health and fitness overnight, and I have come to terms with the fact that small steps like choosing to do light exercise (walk to work/school) and choosing less fattening options for meals will show results after a while. I know I have done it once, back when I was extremely disciplined and enthused with the process, so I know I can do it again if I just utilize the same “growth mindset” I didn’t know I was using before! 

(Image Source: Pixabay Stock Photos)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top