Learning Challenge: A "To-Do" List for Taking Yourself Less Seriously

Sunday, October 6, 2019

"Be Happy," video by Monica Sheehan

Some of my favorite bits of advice in this video are so simple yet they are speaking into my soul about how significant the small stuff really is. Things I could really start doing more of like showing up, not isolating myself like the hermit I am always prone to being. Also, pamper myself, face my fears (this would entail silencing my secret demons and phobias), and limiting television are all very practical advice for me. Sometimes I find myself glued to time-wasters like games and shows that serve me in no genuine way. Others which I have more of a proclivity toward and just need to practice more frequently include setting up a realistic schedule, live in the moment (rather than the past or some possible future), accept that life has its ups and downs, and remind myself to not focus on the negative aspects of situations. Some other honorable mentions include “have a sense of wonder,” “do things you’re good at,” “be open to new ideas,” “let people know how special they are,” “money doesn’t buy happiness,” and “want what you have.” A "to-do" list like this is an important arsenal of wisdom when so often in this tense world of pressure and expectations we tend to take ourselves and others too seriously. Something tells me the people who spend more time on achieving these mental and physical health-related goals have more happiness than those who waste these god-given gifts in the pursuit of shallow pleasures like or money or fame, often at the expense of the wellbeing of themselves or worse, others. The song accompanying the short video, “New Soul, by Yael Naim, is an appropriate soundtrack to a slideshow of suggestions for being happy. We are all young souls in a sense, experiencing all the highs and lows of life and learning lessons along the way as we age: “finding [ourselves] making every possible mistake.” What a good message from this activity. Sometimes even just simply taking a break from the daily grind of doing assignments to “achieve” arbitrary academic grades like watching a video like this is just as enlightening for the mind. I truly think that we would all be better off with a daily dose of happy little tips like Monica Sheehan has provided here.


(Image Source: Pixabay Stock Photos)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top