Learning Challenge: Taking Up "Single-Tasking"

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Single-tasking Is the New Multi-tasking” by James Hamblin for the Atlantic

It is indeed becoming increasingly more complicated to “check out” or “go off the grid” these days, and somehow being seen struggling trying to satisfy many tasks at once is just a price to pay to be considered successful. I totally relate to the “my brain has too many tabs open” meme below the embedded video. Technology is such a double-edged sword. On the one hand, so much valuable knowledge is at our fingertips. On the other hand, so much irrelevant time wasters are too. Somehow, also, it’s impossible to separate yourself from these social media sites that drown so much time. Since even employers are using these platforms to reach their desired audiences, it’s almost like you’re expected to have a visible public online presence to be considered suitable for a position in a modern world that is so entrenched in these communication systems. I love the quote that “maybe this is life mimicking internet” to explain his observation of his inability to focus on one thing at a time. I’m not surprised at all with the statistic that overall negative college GPA’s are associated with students who use social media and text. It’s bizarre to think that the type of smart phone I had entering college the first time years ago had limited internet access and no apps, I can definitely vouch that my grades reflected this lack of distraction.

I think I might have to take up this man’s suggestion for “single tasking” or “tab-less Thursdays” as he calls it to remedy my overly stressed and overwhelmed brain. I think the problem with being so inattentive is the fact that we have so few moments to have thoughts of our own when the thoughts are being dictated by a thousand things in our environment. Sometimes after a long night of homework and my brain is blank I realize how much time had passed since I’d had an original thought that wasn’t for the purpose of engaging with some stimulus that I was obligated or coerced to engage with. Even in that moment, I’m still compelled almost against my will to continue to think about the thing that I was working on rather than “opening a new tab” for a space with my own thoughts! Also, as hard as it is I think I need to try to regain the discipline I had as a freshman the first time years ago before the modern smart-phone and try to not let this device dictate my attention span.


(Image Source: Pixabay Stock Photos)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top