Week 2 Reading Overview

Sunday, August 25, 2019

Text Selection:

Though I was tempted by R. K. Narayan’s Ramayana, I think the PDE Ramayana online is most suitable for me at this time since it is available online for free. The side by side comparison chart makes R. K. Narayan’s Ramayana seems more streamlined with its modern style, but I’m hoping the convenience of the PDE online version will make up for it’s possibly more stuffy and confusing old-fashioned wording. Also having the audio, illustrations, and notes and links to supplement the material will likely be a useful aid. If in the future I decide to, I wonder if I can choose to switch sources if I happen to want to buy the R. K. Narayan Kindle version instead from Amazon online bookstore? I am an avid Kindle user as I have the app downloaded on my tablet, it’s simply the appeal of saving money during this early time in the semester when money is so sparse that I feel compelled to choose the free copy if it’s an option. One last curiosity concerns the differences between the versions of the Indian Epic—how do the various styles and authors impact the substance of the story? This question makes me wonder even more whether my choice now between the two is binding or if they’re similar enough to be interchangeable without issue.  

Comic Book Selections:

I refreshed the pages a few times until I found a selection that seemed most interesting to me. I settled on “Nala Damayanti: The SteadfastLovers” and “Urvashi: The Apsara Who Fell in Love with a King.” From what I read of their summaries, it said that they both are fairytales and from the sounds of them had very heartwarming themes to do with love and drama. I am a sucker for romantic stories, so these options stood out to me as something I would enjoy reading about. I also found a website with some sample pages from “Urvashi…” and a more thorough description of the events inside. I have never read a comic book (the most I have seen of comics is as a child tearing out the comic strips section of the Sunday newspaper so I could find my favorites—Peanuts and Zits, which I had both of in hardback books.) I have always equated comics as short and funny, so how something like a love story can put into comic-strip form I’m not sure but am interested in seeing if it’s something that I would be willing to look into for entertainment outside of this class someday.

Video Selections:

I watched a couple videos for several seconds as an introduction until I found two that kept my attention. Those two were “Sanskritin 60 Seconds | Epified” and “Jaya- An Illustrated Retelling of the Mahabharataby Devdutt Pattanaik,” though “Indian and Greek Mythological Parallels |Epified” came in as a close runner-up. The video about Sanscrit appealed to me as my major is very heavy on learning languages. Though I am by no means fluent in the two that I currently study, I still have a fascination for foreign studies which includes their language histories. The cultural significance of Sanskrit in both the 18th and current centuries shows just how curiosity for the language has remained steady. The video was short but informative, and its draw-along presentation was charming—by .13 seconds where an example of this most elegant language was written out, I was invested in this video. I wish the English language didn’t have to look so graceless and unremarkable when written. My second choice, the video of an illustrative retelling of the Mahabharata by Devdutt Pattanaik was one of the last videos I sampled. I know we are going to get into the Mahabharata before long, so I was interested in this visual introduction. First, I love this sort of understated art- even simple snapshots like his drawings here can tell quite a story. I would love to come back to this video after the assigned reading in a few weeks to see if I can connect the drawings to what I remember from the Epic. I love this kind of artistic project. Just for good measure, I might say that the video about the Indian and Greek mythological parallels was enlightening since as part of my major these myths from antiquity (though I’m more familiar with Roman myths) are referenced frequently in my classes. I wanted to steer clear from using these as inspiration for my own stories based on the epics down the road since I wanted to instead challenge myself to take more unfamiliar paths in my writing, but in the end hints of these myths might make their way in either way. And of course, the illustrations to represent the characters was a favorite feature of this video as well.

Image Selection:

The image below I found through browsing the Indian Epics Images link on the assignment overview page. As I have already expressed, I love illustrations and for me, less is often more. While color has its place in art, sometimes a lack of color does better to emphasize the contents of the image. In this case, “Vishnu Slays Madhu-Kaitabha,” the image struck me as visually captivating with the halo around the subject’s head, the movement of the water, and the curious objects in the hands of the four-armed figure. I learned more about what this picture depicts on the linked Wikipedia page and learned that the decapitated bodies below represent the twelve seismic plates of the earth according to the legend. There is probably more to this story than shown, which makes the picture all the more interesting!

(Image Source: Wikimedia Commons)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top