Taking Advantage of Technology

Saturday, August 24, 2019

In the past, I have hated that I couldn’t go back and access things I or my teachers had posted on Canvas so the fact that the course websites are public is a plus. Other than the benefit of being able to refer to this course in the future, this web-based class helps build experience with technological tools and sites that would be pertinent in any workplace since often companies connect with their client base through the internet. Having an online presence is something professionals expect from their applicants in this age. Even self-employed people should be internet proficient. Consider the inflation of home-grown “influencers” on popular sites like YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, and even blogging sites like this one. Everyone has social media these days but what separates the micro-celebrities from the casual users is an incentive to utilize technological tools to target the desired audience, make connections, and create a network. The workforce is changing whether you are part of a company or working solo. In the ever-changing virtual landscape of the internet, it is important to embrace the tide of technological advancements and learn how to use a variety of technological tools to your advantage.

Out of the types of technological tools listed, I am familiar with all except Twine until recently. I have experience with blogging, website publishing, bookmarking, image editing, and graphics creation. For about a decade I have had a personal blog on Tumblr, but I have also built a website for commercial use. While I was working with a local holistic company in Oklahoma City, I helped the owner open a small shop on Wix, where I organized her sales and scheduled appointments. At that time I also designed her official logo, because having this sort of visual is valuable for attracting the attention of potential customers. As for other images and graphics, in some of my past posts, you can find examples of a couple graphics I have created for nothing more than personal entertainment that I figured I could feature here.

Internet fluency whether that be with websites, graphic design or blog platforms is imperative whether you intend to work on or offline. The University of Oklahoma has taken a step in that direction by switching from Destire2Learn to Canvas a couple years ago. However, going beyond and becoming familiar with various websites and technological tools, forming a personalized online presence, and connecting with others online will pay off in our increasingly digitized world, and by extension in just about any workplace. I’m excited that in this class I can explore these sites and try new things all while earning credit toward my degree. I was apprehensive initially about starting a blog on a platform I’m unaccustomed to, but I’m finding that I enjoy its many features for customization, organization, and communication. Learning how to use the internet in the public sphere (rather than private, like with Canvas, or personal, like with social media sites) is good practice for the future.


(Image Source: Pixabay Stock Photos)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top