Learning Challenge: Sleep Study

Thursday, December 5, 2019

What Would Happen If You Didn’t Sleep?” by Ted Talk Speaker

I have been waiting to watch this four minute video for this precise week: week 15, most appropriately is referred to as “dead week.” This week before finals it is all too real for my fellow students (myself included) to be unsafely sleep deprived. Or to add insult to injury, sleepless but bugged out on sugary caffeinated soft drinks and Starbucks coffees. This video put into perspective just the result of such activities on one’s health. We learn about Randy Garner, a 1965 High School student who in order to do a study he stayed awake for a whopping 11 days—264 hours. The results were extreme to say the least. The hallucinations by the final day of his experiment are explained by his growing his lack of coordination and concentration. A tired brain unable to process physical stimuli seems the environment one would expect for one to become out of touch with reality, paranoid, and unable to remember short-term. It was said that he didn’t endure long-term effects, but goes on to explain that it can be cause for more prominent and prolonged side effects like hormonal imbalances just to name one. It even said that death could come from such serious cases of insomnia! Some of this taught me nothing more than I already had a hunch about or learned about in school (the science of sleep, that is), but it is a good reminder that shut eye is so necessary.

I myself have been up for a total of 4 days several years ago and can say that it was definitely a terrible experience. It started after I experienced my first full-fledged panic attack. What I recall about the incident is trying so many quick-fix methods to force myself into slumber that simply didn’t work, whether teas or medicines or exercising to the point of exhaustion. Physically, I can’t forget the unfamiliar and scary feeling of losing the ability to discern my surroundings through sensory signals. Most prominently probably is how my distorted my sense of touch was that somehow I couldn’t make sense of the tactile stimulants around me from one another. It shot me into this realm of feeling outside of my body, almost detached. This, along with my body naturally having an increased heart-rate from my lack of rest made the anxiety that threw me into this sleepless episode only worse. I can’t remember how or why this period ever ended or I would share the secret, but I hope that in the next week or so I don’t relive this!


(Image Source: Pixabay Stock Photos)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top